Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Talkin' baseball...

Look, dear readers, the prodigal blogger has returned! No on tried to guess what my reference was to in that blog entry like three weeks ago, but in case you were wondering its James Joyce's short story "The Dead." Go read it instead of this blog, I guarantee it will be a better use of your time.

But for those of you who find my boring stories about my life more entertaining than possibly the greatest short story every written, we turn back the clock two (three?) full weeks to Labor Day, a day I spent at the Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field.

My super cool older brother is the proud owner of 1/16th (I think) of season tickets to Chicago Cubs games, which equates to like 6 games a year (or so). After almost two years of summer schedules not lining up for me to be home at the same time as the Cubbies, I planned my Labor Day trip home partly around being able to make it to a baseball game, and so we went.

After driving up to Chicago Monday morning, we stopped at Andy's apartment, where I had the opportunity to meet the world's most adorable and most energetic kitten.

His name is Rufus, and he is the cutest. Zoom in on the picture for full cuteness.

Rufus is also a little terrifying though, because he's like four months old and only getting used to the whole "I have claws and a mouth" thing so likes to exercise both of those. Luckily, I managed to avoid scratching or biting (there was some biting, but it was just like playful nipping), but he did keep me up basically all night by deciding 4 a.m. WAS TIME TO PLAY WITH ALL OF THE TOYS.

I am getting ahead of myself. (But the 4 a.m. LET ME PLAY WITH EVERYTHING AND RUN EVERYWHERE AND LOOK IT'S A BALL AND OH THERE'S A STRING ON A STICK AND HEY WHAT IS THIS FOOT AND OOO THERE'S THAT BELL AGAIN AND NOW I'M IN A BOX AND I'M ROLLING THE BOX AND THIS IS ALL SO GREAT AND I AM A KITTEN AND LOOK THE BALL IS IN THE TRACK NOW LET ME RUN OVER THERE session was really a lot more memorable than the pretty terrible baseball game.)

The Cubs are awful, but were playing the Marlins, who are also awful. Early in the game, it looked as though both teams would score lots of runs and it would be exciting, but after about three innings of back and forth high scoring antics, the Cubs kind of forgot how to hit and the rest of the game was sad and terrible.

Still, Patrick Sharp (of the Blackhawks) was there and threw out one of the first pitches, so that was neat. And baseball games are always fun, especially at Wrigley Field, so hooray.

Post-game, we headed to a bar near the stadium that gives out free hot dogs for an hour before and after the game and ate lots of free hot dogs. THEN, we went to a bar near my brother's house that has half-price pizza on Mondays. We ordered a pizza, they burned it, AND SO WE GOT A FREE PIZZA!

A day filled with tiny kittens and free pizza. The end.

1 comment:

  1. The picture will not zoom! I can't see the cuteness! I have not read James Joyce but my guess was going to be Bilbo.

    ReplyDelete