Sunday, July 28, 2013

The one-day weekend...

Sometimes, due to my need to have stable employment and make the moneys, I have to work Sundays. And it is the worst. I believe I've mentioned this before, but in case you're new to the blog: night cops is the living worst.

Reasons night cops is the worst include the following:
1) I cannot run (or hike) on Sunday afternoon, one of my few guaranteed workout times. The rest of the week I will almost certainly convince myself not to work out after I get home, but on Sundays I have no excuse. EXCEPT WHEN I HAVE TO WORK.
2) I have to be at work until like 10:30 at night (if I leave a little early, honestly) which is just the pits. Then I go home and I'm tired, but I don't want to go straight to bed, because - lame, so instead I usually eat Cheetos or drink a beer or a coke or consume some other unnecessary calories that usually just have the result in keeping me up later than I want to be.
3) I am faced with the choice of either A) taking Friday off, giving me a normal weekend, but no days off at the same time as Barrett and I usually have shit I need to finish Friday morning for the Monday paper that I'd rather not finish on Thursdays, B) taking Monday off, giving myself an every other day kind of weekend, which is okay but just seems silly or C) doing what I did this time around and taking a day the previous weekend, giving myself a three-day weekend (WIN!) followed by a one-day weekend (LOSE.)

But despite all this sucktacular-ness, my one-day weekend went pretty well. I will now regale you with the tale of these adventures, in a post that hopefully sucks less so I don't need to end it with a picture of a teacup pig so you're not mad at me.

Sometimes, my life is a little bit like high school. Example: a certain man companion of mine lives with his parents (totally acceptable....kind of). When those parents go out of town, as they did this weekend, I am a huge advocate of throwing wild parties at their home so we can emulate all the sweet movies about high school I love so dearly ("I got enough cheese and crackers for eight people. You think that's enough?").

The problem, though, is that I do not have a ton of friends here in Lynchburg (curse you, college graduation). And my friends here are pretty cool, but with one of them out of town this week (:( Katrina) our party was destined to be a bit low on the attendance. And of my roommates was working, and the other had whatever activity beautiful people engage in on the weekends (actual situation: she had a softball game).

Long story short: our wild party wound up being Barrett, Alicia and I grilling brats, drinking sangria, watching Batman and Robin and then making an unseemly number of prank phone calls to the opinion editor. (There was also some playing of Call of Duty. We are way cool - and I am way not good at that game.)

It was still a quality evening, especially with the prank calls. Here's how it went down: Alicia and I left dozens of messages in suave, mysterious voices asking to speak to Carlos Danger, which was awesome. Then Barrett left a final message that began: "Hola, me llamo Carlos Danger," and asked if he could help him get in touch with some of his "chicas" who might've called said editor by mistake.

Oh, topical humor.

Anywho, the prank calling was a big high to come down from (see, my life is frequently a lot like high school) but I did my darnedest Saturday via napping, running (IN THE RAIN BECAUSE I AM ONE TOUGH M*****F****** [not sure why I decided to censor. for the children, I guess]), making a sweet-ass salad, buying sandals and seeing The Wolverine! SUCH A DAY!

(Side note: I also bought some white skinny jean capris from TJMaxx. They are pretty much completely see-through and I'm not sure when, how or why I will ever wear them. But they were $16 and I've kind of been imaging all these sweet outfits I could make with white pants before remembering that I still have large thighs. Most importantly, did you notice the $16 price? This is what the sales do to me. It's a problem.)

Closed the weekend off with not one but TWO services at Barrett's church because I  am a quality human being and went to hear him sing a song. Then we went to Buffalo Wild Wings, because I was super hungry after all of this Jesus-ing and at basically any given point in my life I would rather be at Buffalo Wild Wings.

(Fact: my fingers kind of smelled like the spicy garlic sauce from my wings for the first couple hours of work. It was the most frustrating and amazing situation ever.)

Instead of a teacup pig, I'll end this post with the muzak, because people like the muzak. I thought, briefly, about uploading the video of Barrett singing his song, but that seemed kind weird and like more work than I wanted to do. So instead, enjoy some Beatles. (Not bugs. The band. Bugs would be weird.)


1 comment:

  1. How did the other prank calls get cut from this narrative??

    ReplyDelete